Careful where you get your sausage from.

Naked butcher photos sees Kalkarindji residents throw out beef and sausages from NT meatworks

Meat is being dumped from stores across the remote community of Kalkarindji, the Gurindji Aboriginal Corporation says, after a photo of a naked butcher preparing sausages was uploaded to social media.

Key points:

  • Gurindji Aboriginal Corporation ‘disgusted’ after photo of naked butcher surfaces online
  • Supermarkets, school in Kalkarindji asked to dispose of meat sourced from facility
  • NT Department of Primary Industry in contact with company following incident

The photo, purportedly taken at a local meat supplier, shows a butcher handling sausages dressed in only boots and an apron, leaving his bare buttocks exposed.

Kalkarindji Traditional Owner and Gurindji Aboriginal Corporation spokesperson Rob Roy said the butcher and meat supply facility were “easily identified” by the community.

“That to me is one idiot who is treating black people of this community, Kalkarindji, very wrong and not with a lot of respect,” he said.

“To me, that’s making me think back to Vincent Lingiari, maybe that’s why he walked off the station, because he wasn’t treated fair.

“They’re just treating us like dogs.”

Mr Roy said he had asked local supermarkets to dispose of fresh beef and sausages from the meatworks.

He said it was a health and safety risk, and the community should not “eat dirty meat off their sweat”.

“I went to the main mob, our local community store, told them to empty out the shelf,” he said.

“I said the snags, the beef, I want it all chucked away and empty the fridge until further notice.

“I rang the school, spoke to the principal … and told him to dispose all of [the meat], because we’ve got a really serious situation happening here.”

Butcher fired, meat recall issued

The butcher, who has been contacted for comment, removed the photo from Facebook on Friday afternoon.

In a statement, the Arnhem Land Progress Aboriginal Corporation (ALPA), which runs a number of remote stores across the Northern Territory, including the Kalkarindji meatworks, said the man’s employment had been terminated “effective immediately”.

“ALPA has informed three stores which were supplied by Kalkaringi Meats to remove all products from their shelves immediately pending an investigation by the Northern Territory Department of Primary Industries,” it said.

“ALPA has taken this matter very seriously and has communicated with the affected stores and has issued clear instructions to ensure any customer who returns Kalkaringi meat products that a full refund will be issued.

“ALPA does not envisage this will impact food security and we intend to secure alternative fresh meat supplies until the matter is resolved.

The Northern Territory Department of Primary Industries and Resources said it was aware of the photo and had been in contact with the company regarding the incident.

Mr Roy said the company would need to work hard to rebuild trust with the community — and needed to issue an apology.

“It’s disrespectful, it’s an utter disgrace … we don’t know how long this has been happening,” he said.

“They’re not going to hurt this community again by having an incompetent butcher or person in there processing this beef and sausages.”

The meatworks said it would not be commenting as the matter is under investigation and the appropriate authorities have been notified.

(ABC New Darwin Australia)

Advertisements

How Have Intimate Relationships Changed Over the Years, and Where Does It Leave Us Now?

A good article worth reading.

Damon Ashworth Psychology

caleb-ekeroth-11806.jpg

I just finished reading the book ‘Modern Romance: An Investigation’ by Aziz Ansari and Eric Klinenberg and was pleasantly surprised to see such a well-researched book written predominantly by a Stand-up Comedian (with a helping hand from a Sociologist).

For those of you who don’t know Aziz, his stand-up shows typically consist of interesting observations about relationships, as does his new series ‘Master of None’:

Considering that I’d already seen and liked both his stand-up and his show, I was definitely intrigued to see his name next to a book about Modern Romance in my local bookstore. Here’s what his research found:

How Has Dating Changed?

love-1311039-1279x850

1. Distance

Back in 1932, a Sociologist named James Bossard examined 5000 consecutive marriage licences in the city of Philidelphia, USA, and looked into how close the partners had lived to each other before they married. Here’s what he found:

  • Same address – 12.64%
  • Same block…

View original post 2,813 more words

Michelle Guthrie sacked from ABC managing director role halfway through term – Breaking News

ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie has been sacked just two-and-a-half years into her five-year term, the corporation’s chairman has said in a shock announcement.

The ABC said the directors resolved it was not in the best interests of the ABC for Ms Guthrie to continue to lead the organisation.

Chairman Justin Milne said the decision was made in the “long-term interests of our own people and the millions of Australians who engage with ABC content every week”.

Despite offering praise for some of Ms Guthrie’s work, Mr Milne said her “leadership style” was a factor in the board’s decision.

“The board felt in the end that her leadership style was not the style that we needed going forward,” he said.

“We needed a different leadership style and that is the decision of the board.”

He thanked Ms Guthrie for her hard work since taking the position in May 2016.

“The board wishes to thank Michelle for her contribution to the ABC,” Mr Milne said.

“We are very grateful for all her hard work.”

Communications Minister Mitch Fifield thanked Ms Guthrie, and said the Government acknowledged her service in a “challenging and rapidly changing media environment”.

A former Singapore-based executive with Google, Ms Guthrie was the ABC’s first female managing director.

She began her career as a media lawyer and has worked with a range of media companies in Australia and abroad, including Foxtel, BSkyB, and the Asian-based Star television network.

Media player: “Space” to play, “M” to mute, “left” and “right” to seek.

David Anderson, the ABC’s director of entertainment and specialist, will serve as acting managing director until a formal search process finds Ms Guthrie’s successor.

Mr Anderson has a 30-year career in the media industry and has been responsible for leading the ABC’s broadcast television networks and associated services, radio music networks, podcasts and specialist radio content.

He said it was an honour to lead the corporation.

“I recognise the challenges involved in transitions of this kind, but I am honoured to accept the board’s invitation and look forward to working with our outstanding people to execute our strategy,” he said.

The ABC board has commenced a formal search, both internally and externally, for Ms Guthrie’s replacement.

ABC managing directors are selected by the board, independently of the government and opposition.

 

New Zealand bans Australians strawberries after needle scare.

Australian strawberries pulled from shelves after needles found in New Zealand

Countdown chain recalls Australian Choice brand after discovery in Auckland supermarket

Strawberries
A New Zealand supermarket chain has pulled an Australian brand of strawberries after needles were found in a punnet sold in Auckland. Photograph: Amer Ghazzal/Barcroft Images

An Australian strawberry brand has been withdrawn from sale in New Zealand after needles were found in a punnet sold in a Auckland supermarket.

The Countdown supermarket chain said the brand, Australian Choice, was being pulled off the shelves.

“Customers can return any Choice brand of strawberries they may have at home to Countdown for peace of mind and a full refund,” the supermarket said in a statement.

“As an extra precaution and following similar advice from public health authorities in Australia, customers should cut up any Australian strawberries before eating them,” it said.

“Countdown is in contact with both New Zealand and Australian authorities as they investigate this matter.”

The Australian Choice brand has not been recalled in Australia, where there have been more than 100 reports of tampered fruit across the country.

Queensland police are leading the investigation, and the premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk, is offering a $100,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to the arrest of those responsible.

Police in Australia suspect many of the reports could be fake, or copycat contamination. A man in South Australia was due to face court on Monday charged with falsely claiming goods had been contaminated after he allegedly reported finding a needle in a strawberry his daughter was eating.

The government passed legislation last week increasing the penalty for food contamination to 10 to 15 years jail.

Dumped strawberries pile up as growers get rid of them

Captain Cook’s HMS Endeavour might have been found in USA

HM Bark Endeavour
Image copyright Science Photo Library
Image caption HMS Endeavour landed in Australia in 1770

The hunt for the final resting place of Captain James Cook’s HMS Endeavour may soon be over – in time for the 250th anniversary of its voyage to Australia.

The Endeavour, then known as Lord Sandwich II, was sunk with 12 other ships off Rhode Island, in the US, in August 1778, but no-one was sure where.

Now, following a 25-year archaeological study of the area, the search has been narrowed to just “one or two” sites.

Experts are now hopeful it will be definitively identified by 2020.

That would be just in time for the anniversary of Capt Cook arriving in Australia, following a two-year voyage of discovery which initially set out from Plymouth, England.

The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project (Rimap), which has been working with the Australian National Maritime Museum (ANMM), said it would release a “3-D photogrammetric image of a promising site” on Friday.

But it will still be some time until the true identity of the wreck is revealed. “Detailed work” must be done during a planned excavation of the area, just off Goat Island, in 2019, it said in a statement.

“We’re not in a position to identify it conclusively,” Rimap’s Kathy Aththas told News.com.au.

“Once excavated it will require sampling, testing of the type of wood and nails, and analysis which won’t give us a definitive answer for another 18 months.”

Capt Cook set sail on Endeavour – a British-built coal ship – in 1768 on a scientific voyage to map the Pacific Ocean.

View of the Endeavour River Whole folio A view of the Endeavour River New Holland with the Endeavour laid on shore in order to repair the damage which she received on the rocks; June-July 1770.

It was the ship in which the explorer charted New Zealand and Australia between 1769 and 1771. He arrived off the south-east coast of what is now Australia in 1770, eventually making landfall at Botany Bay.

He later claimed the region for the British crown, despite the presence of large Indigenous communities.

After sailing back to Britain, the Endeavour was renamed Lord Sandwich II and became a troop carrier.

During the American War of Independence it was scuttled by the British Navy with the 12 other ships to form a blockade of the Narragansett Bay.